Friday night we went to Josh and Julie's house. Josh has a hobby of making his own beer from scratch. He invited Michael to join him for his new batch, so Michael was thrilled! I have to say it stinks pretty bad when everything is heating - the hopps, malt, and whatever other nasty stuff goes into beer. :P Michael had fun though - now comes the waiting part. The beer ferments for a couple of weeks and then it gets poured into different containers for a few more weeks before the bottling process. The whole batch will make about 5 gallons of beer. There is quite a bit of equipment involved too - a huge deep pot, a big 5 gallon container, a big funnel device, and another gadget that measures alcohol content or something. If I didn't know better, I may think it was some sort of drug paraphanelia, but it was all legal. ;)
While they were doing that, Julie and I rented a movie - which made me think of a new blog post! Michael and I enjoy movies, but never really watch too many. This summer though has been the summer of movies for us...I guess more for me because I have seen a few with other people to spare Michael from overdosing on chick flicks. So I thought I would provide a review of some movies in case you are looking for some ideas. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but these are just my opinions: :)
The Ugly Truth - very funny and cute movie. Very sexual story line but was entertaining. Katherine Heigl and Gerard Butler had great chemistry.
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - SO good. It left out quite a few things from the book, but still SO great. It also had a lot of funny parts that had me laughing.
Time Traveler's Wife - I hadn't read the book so was a little unsure of what the whole time travel thing was about. Michael and I left the movie still feeling that way a bit but it was a good show.
The Proposal - very cute and funny movie. Not too much of a chick flick so guys would enjoy it too. I have to admit there was one part that was so funny that I think I laughed the hardest I've ever laughed out loud in a theater.
Julie & Julia - neither of us had a desire to see this movie, but were invited by friends. It actually turned out to be pretty cute and entertaining! Meryl Streep did a wonderful job of playing Julia Child with the accent and all. It was just a tad too long and some irrelevant parts could have been cut out to make it a little shorter.
Ones we've rented:
Slumdog Millionaire - good movie! Interesting to see the way everything ties together.
Body of Lies - kept our attention but skipped around to different cities a lot. I was glad we watched it at home because I was asking Michael questions the whole time. Neither of us were happy with the ending and felt like it was very anti climactic.
Indiana Jones (the most recent one) - AWFUL! Dumb storyline that did not match up to the time period it was in. Do NOT waste your time or money.
Confessions of a Shopaholic - not good. I expected a silly movie and was even disapointed with it. The characters were not developed very well but then all of a sudden they had random relationships. Oh well, it helps waste 90 minutes if your husband is out of town and you're bored.
17 Again (what Julie & I watched) - I'm not a huge Zac Efron fan, but it was a pretty cute movie. Had some pretty funny parts too. Although I have to admit, I was pretty distracted in the last half of the movie because I had a major allergic reaction to Julie's cats and had a hard time seeing the tv through my blurry and swollen eyes. :\
So if you need a good movie, I would recommend Harry Potter, Proposal or Ugly Truth. I would give all these two Kyla thumbs up! :)
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
thanks siskel and ebert! haha :) that'a s fun movie review. and so fun that yall have been watching so many movies this summer. that's fun! and i had no idea how much effort went into making beer, interesting! i bet michael loved that! can't wait to see you this week! loves!
Ah, I loved Indiana Jones!
How long before Michael wants to start making his own beer?
Post a Comment