Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Yikes, I didn't realize how long it had been since I updated my blog!

So last weekend started off really cold. We got up Saturday morning and it was -14. So Michael decided to try another little test to show just how cold things can get here. Watch the video below and you'll see the water freeze on his truck instantly. So crazy!

Aside from that, we are in the middle of the standard "January thaw"...meaning our highs every day for the next week are 32-34 degrees!! Wahoo! You may think I'm exaggerating with my excitement, but after you've been subzero for a while, it really does get to where 30 isn't too bad. Sure it's still chilly and you need a coat, but my nose doesn't turn red instantly and sting like I have water in it. And the moisture in my nose doesn't freeze. (hmm, i think i may have nose issues)

Our friends Jared & Amber are coming up this weekend from Des Moines - Yea!! Amber and I were emailing today about things to do this weekend and even she said how glad she was it was going to be a "nice" weekend. Who would have thought 3 years ago when we were playing spades with them in Houston that we would be wishing for 30 degree weekends!

The top temp is the outside temp. And yes, that says -13.

5 comments:

Lauri said...

Hi Kyla, this is Kat's friend Lauri. I love checking in on your blog and seeing what you and Micheal are up to way up there! Your video cracked me up! Honestly I don't know how you manage to deal with those temps up there. We just had a few days of freezing temps down here in Houston and ended up with busted outside water pipes. And it only got to 20 degrees or so, which is warm by your standards I'm sure! Anyway, take care and stay warm up there!

Amber said...

It totally cracks me up that you took a picture of your thermometer thingie! That's something Jared would do, so maybe great minds think alike. So excited to see you guys!

Ryan, Carrie, Brooke, and Heather said...

WOW! I don't think it is meant for humans to live in those temperatures! It is cool to see how fast the water freezes! We had one morning that it was like 14 outside and I got the car started running 10 minutes before I actually had to get in it. I would be excited for 30 degree weather too! Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

Brrrr! Even the 67 is too cold for me! Love you, Faith

Stephanie said...

-13 outside but 67 inside? That's still really cold! We have to keep our thermostat at 73 or else I freeze! (Okay I'm a baby- maybe I need some perspective!)

That video is disturbing!