Friday, June 22, 2012

My Sweet GP

Unfortunately my lack of blogging lately was due to a sad situation in my family.  My sweet Grandpa Eckel (GP) passed away on Saturday, June 16.  He was one week away from his 90th birthday party.

My Grandpa was diagnosed last year with lung cancer in both of his lungs (stage 4) - and he was never even a smoker.  From the day he was diagnosed, he told the doctor that he wanted to do whatever it took.  And he had that same attitude up to the very end - so strong, courageous and brave! 

My Grandpa proudly served in the U.S. Navy and was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed in 1941, at the age of 19.  Ever since his time in the service, he has stayed active in the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association and was always attending a reunion for his USS New Orleans ship that he served on. He went to Hawaii every 5 years or so for the anniversary date of the Pearl Harbor bombing.  He was known in the family for always being on the go.  Whether it was trips to the casino with a buddy or traveling the country for various conventions and veteran events, he was always one busy man.  I loved and adore his sense of adventure and desire to see so much and experience all that he could.

My Grandpa and Grandma had 6 kids, 14 grandchildren and 16 great grandchildren.  Even when my grandma passed away in 1999, my Grandpa stepped into her shoes and would send us all our yearly birthday card and money.  He loved hearing from us on the phone and was always so sweet to ask all about what was going on in our lives and how Michael and Joseph were doing.

One of my favorite things was when we lived in Minnesota, and my Grandpa came to visit us for about 4 days.  We did so much and had a blast spending time with him!  I'm so thankful we had that long visit with him!

Grandpa was admiteed to the hospital a couple of weeks ago with pneumonia.  Unfortunately, the tumors in his lungs just prevented his lungs from being able to get rid of the pneumonia and the antibiotics didn't work.  He got worse each day and then was moved into a Hospice facility in Tyler last Monday.   I was there Sunday thru Tuesday and then came back for a few days. Hearing he was getting a lot worse, I headed back on Friday with Joseph and he passed away Saturday afternoon.    I told him I loved him every chance I had and even when he could barely talk on Friday, he mouthed "you too".   It is a precious memory I will hold forever in my heart.

I love my sweet Grandpa so very much and our family will have a huge void without him.  But he leaves behind the legacy of a great family that is close and loves each other so much.   He is a hero to so many of us and I miss him so much already.  

The ABC news in Tyler also ran a story on Grandpa's life the day of his funeral and they ran it as the top story that opened the 10pm news! They had interviewed him several times over the years regarding his experience at Pearl Harbor, so we were so honored that they wanted to do one last tribute to him and to recognize him for the amazing man that he was.










William Eckel - click on this link to view Grandpa's video that aired on the news

2 comments:

Becky and Brendon said...

Kyla - We are so sorry to hear of the passing of your grandpa. You have told so many wonderful stories and your face would light up every time you talked of him. Our thoughts and prayers are certainly with you at this time. B&B

Ryan, Carrie, Brooke, and Heather said...

I was so sorry to hear of this sad news! He was a great man and passes on a great legacy! You did such a sweet tribute and I loved watching the TV tribute, that was awesome! We are still praying for healing for your family.