Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Habitat for Humanity

Today I went with people from my business unit and participated in a Habitat for Humanity build. It was a really neat day! There were about 25 volunteers and we divided into different groups. I grouped up with Becky and 2 other girls that were close to our age. Boy am I tired. The hardest part of the day was when we had to unload 2 truckloads full of scalfolding poles, etc. But we also got some easier jobs like stapling on the tyvec paper that protects the wood from rain, etc.

It was really neat to be involved with this. Plus, it's always nice to interact with coworkers outside of work b/c you really see a different (and normally better) side of people! And it was really great b/c 2 of the volunteers were people that would be living in 2 of the 3 townhome units we were building. And the other man was in a wheelchair and he came out and took pictures of the construction of his new home. It really was rewarding to do this work!

The day was so nice today...it was a great day to be outside and out of the office! The high was probably high 50s, or maybe 60 at the highest. It was quite chilly with all the wind we had. And for some reason, the bees were SUPER bad where we were. I totally got swarmed while we were eating lunch. Everyone laughed as I ran around the site trying to get them off me and my food. Everyone said the bees just liked me for some reason and that they must be Texas bees. ;)

For a Michael update...he finished teaching his merchandising class today! He is SO glad it's over! Even though I wasn't in the room, I know how good he must have done b/c I know how hard he worked! I'm so proud of my Mikey! :) And it was kinda funny b/c yesterday I had a meeting in the same hallway where his meeting room was, so I got to peek in his room. Unfortunately, they were just coming back from lunch so I just got to briefly make eye contact with him as I walked by. :)

Just an ending note, does anyone watch The Biggest Loser? Tonight is the season premiere...I actually really like this show! It's so amazing to watch these people transform their lives. Not to mention, it makes me cry every episode. It's up there with Little House on the Prairie and Extreme Makeover Home Edition on the cry factor. :)

P.S. I actually heard the words "frost advisory" at the end of the weather forecast tonight. Eeek!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kyla, I can always count on you to watch every single reality show out there... So, speaking of Extreme Makeover - I cry everytime Ty "moves that bus" because unfortunately the bus never rolls over him to settle him down! That man is waay to happy waay to often! haha

Anywho, glad to hear you guys are doing good! We miss yall! *the smallest violin in the world is playing right now in the background* *feeeeelings*

Misty Nelson said...

OMG...me and Greg watched the biggest loser and I got teary several times. I hate that they have to vote someone out at the end, but I guess you have to and apparently they still continue to do some of the training. I was glad to see the "black team" get formed...it broke my heart that they were so devastated that they had to go home. And then at the beginning when they had to reach the coaches and the last person (ironically the one that got voted off) was determined to make it and they all went back out to do it with her for encouragement...very teary. I am rooting for the older guy, the one who was the first to get to the coaches, the oldest loser ever on the show and the one to loose the most weight at the first weigh in. He was so worried about being "old"...so I am rooting for him. :D