Monday, October 15, 2007

Great weekend with GP!!

My Grandpa made it in Thursday night! I definitely think this weekend was one of the most special times I've ever spent with him!

Friday while we were at work, he stayed busy by doing washing some of his laundry, checking his email (he's 85 and he had more new emails that I ever do!), and he even walked to Target to buy some new sunglasses!

Saturday was our busy sightseeing day. We showed him some fo the typical sites: Cargill, the downtowns, the churches. But we took him to a special lunch at a German restaurant downtown, he loved it! Then we headed to Fort Snelling. It was actually really neat to see b/c it is a place Michael and I had not been either. It was an old fort used back in the 1800's and they have employees that dress up as people from that time period. Every 30 minutes they have a different activity around the fort, so we got to see the soldiers drill practice on the practice field!

That night we went downtown to a really nice theater to see a play (Gpa loves to see plays). Then we topped off the weekend Sunday with mass at the Basilica, a cup of tea at Mall of America, a Cowboys game on tv, and then an unsuccessful trip to the casino. And with my Grandpa's neverending charm, 5 minutes after sitting at the blackjack table, he had the dealer telling him she wanted to marry him when she grew up! :) He was happy to inform her that he was ONLY 85! :) Luckily, Gpa had a safe trip back to Rusk yesterday. He's only been gone a short time, but I sure do miss him...


Me and Gpa in front of state capitol.

Cheers! (At German restaurant)

Outside the Black Forest Inn German restaurant

Watching the soldiers drill at Ft. Snelling


Michael and GP in soldiers store at Fort Snelling

Relaxing after long day of sightseeing


GP at Mall of America

Playing dominoes - GP dominated us!


4 comments:

Amber said...

Gld ur Gdp vistd 4 the wknd in Mpls. Seriously, too cute! But the best part was your GP abbreviations!

Misty Nelson said...

OMG! He is so precious! Makes me teary too! G-pa Eckel seems like such a neat man! And...is that SHINER they are drinking! :D My kind of men!

Anonymous said...

Too fun! I am so glad you had time with Gramps, I know you'll cherish the memories from his trip. The only problem though, in the pic from the restaurant, where's your beer mug??!! You're an Eckel, right? :) I guess they didnt make strawberry daqueries there uh? :) love you! Kristina

Anonymous said...

Those were such nice pictures of your grandpa. I know that visit was truly special. It looked like you all had a lot of fun. Love ya, Faith