Thursday, January 8, 2009

Insane

That about describes our Sunday - fun but insane!

Sunday we went to the Vikings playoff game with 6 of our friends. For some bizarre reason, they had a hard time selling out the game, so we actually got the tickets at a fairly reasonable price! Anyways, the game itself was fun - until we went downhill in the second half. But it was our first Vikings game to go to, so it was neat to experience all the hype!

The crazy part came in by us tailgating before the game! When we went to church that morning, it was -3. By the time we made it downtown (around 12:45) it had made it up to a whopping 5 degrees. My guess is it didn't get much higher than 10 that day. It was by far the coldest we've been since we've moved here - I guess b/c it was really the first time we went outside and STAYED outside for a prolonged period of time.

I had 2-3 layers on just about every part of my body, but after about 15 minutes I could no longer feel my toes. Luckily Jim & Heather made some chili and heated it on a coleman stove. Jim had put duck meat in the chili and some other vegetables. Normally I would turn my nose up at something like that, but when you are freezing...you will eat just about anything that has steam coming from it. Now for the funny cold stories....

-Michael had a runny nose b/c we both got over a cold. Well he couldn't feel his nose at all so I had to tell him when he was dripping. :P
-I took carrots, celery, brocolli, and ranch dip - yeah, it froze after about 30-45 minutes
-We had an ice chest of beer that hadn't been refridgerated - so they just took the lid off the cooler and it was good to go.
-Our friend Jim opened a can of beer and it splashed out a little onto the little table they had set up. He reached for a paper towel to wipe it up off the table and it was already frozen to it!
-I was drinking a coke out of a bottle and throughout the course of time, it slowly became a coke slushy.

The last 30 minutes or so, me and 2 of the other girls sat in the car with the heat on b/c we couldn't feel our feet - and it was just so darn cold. But I made it for a while at least, so I felt like a semi-trooper.

Me and Heather - we had just gotten there - that's why we are still thawed

Tailgating with Heather, Chad, Jim, and Joe

The boys

Hut-hut! (that's the extent of my football terminology)

At the Vikings game

Just a little video to show how exciting a first down can be. Listen for the funny little Vikings horn noise at the end - that made me giggle every time they played it! (and that is our friend Heather with the purple wig on - I'm telling you, people go all out!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's frozen madness!!!

Misty Nelson said...

Umm...is Michael wearing a Vikings jersey?????

I can only imagine how cold it was, but it looks like so much fun! I LOVE Heather's hat!!!

Amber said...

We always wondered about the crazies who tailgate/go to games in subzero temps... Now we know. They're our friends.

I'm super jealous! That sounds like a blast! (The game, not the cold.)