Well Holy Week is coming to an end as we await the joy of Easter Sunday tomorrow! Holy Week is always one of my most favorite weeks. For my non-Catholic friends, it starts with Palm Sunday. Then there is Holy Thursday where we remember Jesus instituting the Eucharist at the Last Supper and calling us to serve others through his example of washing his disciples' feet. On Good Friday, it is the only day of the year where there is not a single mass all over the world. Instead we have a service where we read the passion of Jesus and show our veneration and respect to the cross He died on for us. We also say a whole series of prayers where we pray for everyone in the world - politicians, other Christians, non-Christians, etc. It is such a beautiful and powerful service! Saturday night there is the Easter Vigil which anticipates the resurrection and then Easter Sunday of course!
I thought I would share a few sweet things from Faith Formation class the other night. I was teaching my 2nd graders about Holy Week. We had just been reading from our text books about it, but finally I decided to just tell them the whole sequence of events in a language that was more on their level. For the first time since October, I felt like I finally had the whole class engaged and they were hanging on every word I was saying. The kids started asking why Jesus was killed so I explained that there were a bunch of people who thought Jesus was lying by saying he was the Son of God. Then I said "and do you know who it was that turned him in?" and in unison like I was telling some sort of campfire story they go "WHO?!" They were so intrigued that Kate and I couldn't help but to giggle a lit because of just how precious that moment was. When I explained that it was Judas and how Judas had been one of Jesus' friends, they just couldn't believe it and were so upset that he could do that to Jesus. They were all so sincere and just had the most amazing questions that it just melted my heart. They wanted to know how we knew that Jesus really was telling the truth, how God created everything, etc. Then somehow we got the question about who created God (the Father) and oh boy. You should have seen all the question marks that shot in the air when Kate and I explained that God has always existed and will always exist. They were just convinced there was no way that was possible. :) I wanted to just keep talking to them forever but it was time for us to move onto other questions. But even as we headed back to our desks from being seated on the rug, one little girl even stayed back to ask me another question. I've been so surprised by just how much I feel like I'VE learned and grown in my experience of teaching Faith Formation. My only hope and prayer is that I've taught these little people something new about our wonderful faith.
As for Easter plans, Michael and I will be going to the 9am Mass tomorrow. Then for our Easter dinner, we are going a bit untraditional and we're going to smoke a chicken. :) We can't resist the forecasted high of 63 tomorrow! I already told Michael we are having chips and cookies for lunch - he gave up chips for Lent and I gave up cookies. I have a roll of slice n bake and a box of Thin Mints waiting for me as soon as we get home from church! hehe
We pray everyone has a wonderful Easter and may God fill your hearts with the joy and hope of His resurrection!
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Happy Easter Kyla and Michael! Kyla I love hearing about your Catholic faith and I am so glad you have been touched by your time spent teaching those kids!
You are an amazing teacher! You have an awesome way of explaining things. I am sure those kids are going to remember what you taught them. I hope y'all had a great Easter. God Bless!
Post a Comment