Saturday, May 22, 2010

Concert

Some of you may know that my all time favorite band is the Goo Goo Dolls. I've been a huge fan for quite some time now. You can imagine my joy when they finally announced their new tour starting this year in preparation for their new album coming out in July. I have a friend named Sheena from church who loves them just as much. So the day they announced their Minneapolis date, we made our plans to attend!

The concert was at a small theater in downtown Minneapolis this past Wednesday. It was actually nice because even though we were on the higher deck, we could see great and we felt fairly close to the stage. It was as usual such an awesome concert! They played several songs from their new album and I loved them! They put on a good show and then we were of course bummed when it was over and time to go home.

We were leaving the theater around 10:15/10:30. As we were walking to our parking lot, we walked past a small lot with two huge buses in it. We wondered if it was the band's tour buses so we decided to take a chance and stick around in the lot. When we got asked by security to scoot back, we knew we were in the right place!

We saw three of the bandmembers: this curly haired guy who does keyboard and back up vocals...he got on the bus with a couple of girls. Then we saw Robbie, the second co-lead guy who I almost didn't recognize because of his wierd hat and he was way shorter than I ever expected. Then we saw the drummer, Mike walking his dog with his wife before getting on the bus. There was quite a crowd at this point as we all anxiously waited to catch a glimpse of the lead singer John Reznick.

As we were waiting, Sheena and I strategically placed ourselves in a place where we would be sure to see him regardless of how he may try to sneak on without people noticing. Of course the whole time we were laughing at ourselves for acting like true groupies! :)

Then all of a sudden I see Mike (the drummer) get off the bus and start walking straight out towards the end of the lot where we were standing. We were wondering where he was going but he just went to this group and started signing autographs! So, I freak out and tell Sheena to run over there so we can catch him while he's still signing. We are both frantically trying to find something for him to sign and all of a sudden my purse became this foreign object with items I had never seen - items in which nothing was paper. I finally found my Ann Taylor coupon but I had a moment of sanity where I realized I wasn't willing to sacrifice my future $25 off a purchase of $50 or more. Then I found it - a used post it note! I knew it would have to do so I just flipped it back over.

So before we knew it, it was our turn. Mike was signing Sheena's concert ticket then I managed to fumble out the words "Sorry, all I have is the back of a post it." Meanwhile Sheena is calmly and cooly telling them how much we love their group. Then we step back admiring our little black scribbles and decide to hurry and take pictures of him - he totally posed for our shots, it was great! Then I hear him asking another fan if she was from Texas. Background: being the mega fan I am, I knew that he actually went to college at the University of North Texas in Denton. As soon as I hear him say the word Texas, I start yelling from 5 feet away "Hey! I'm from Texas!!" He didn't really respond so I had this out of body experience where I rushed up to him and tapped him over and over telling him I was from Texas too! He didn't really respond and then I slipped back into reality where I realized how totally dorky I was and that I was actually one of those annoying fans!!!

It was all worth it though! The concert was awesome and we got a band member autograph, so we were happy! We waited until about 11:15pm and finally gave up our hope of seeing the lead singer...which for me may be a good thing because who knows what I would have done or said! haha! Here are our pictures!

Concert night!!!

Me and Sheena - SO excited!

Waiting for the concert to start
The two lead guys of the band


Mike the drummer!

The autograph!! I mean really - did he have to sign on the sticky part of all places??

There's not a whole lot of words in this video clip but this is my favorite guitar part of my favorite song ("Name"), so I just had to post it.

2 comments:

Misty Nelson said...

Glad you two had such a great time! And what a neat looking place!

Stephanie said...

EEEEK! How exciting! I used to have such a crush on Johnny Reznik. I bet that was a great concert!