Monday, August 9, 2010

Job Update

So, this post is SUPER late - but better late than never right? I figured I owed you guys an update on my job situation.

As you know, I got laid off from my job the end of March. I was home until the beginning of May and then my old group within Cargill called me to come do some contract work on their communications project. It was meant to be a 2-3 week job. I went ahead and took it and figured it would be a good way to get me back in the door to network with people.

I had an interview with a different group and was told they thought I would get bored with the position (??). I had another group that was recruiting me like crazy, but the timing just didn't work out. Then another group talked to me about a temporary position for a girl that was about to go on maternity leave, but the pay was a joke so it made that decision easy.

In the meantime, I was enjoying my communications work on the project. The group ended up offering me a full time position. After exploring those other options, I felt like God was leading me in that direction, so I took the job. I officially went full time again July 6. My title is "Communications and Admin Coordinator". So basically the main part of my job is communications on the new strategy project in the business unit. There is a small amount of admin work in my job which I was really trying to avoid, but at this point it has been very minimal so I think it won't be too bad.

I'm able to work with some great people that are experts in corporate communications and corporate affairs. So, I figured the job is what I make of it. I'm trying to really learn from their experience and enjoy this new opportunity. I've had to go to Des Moines and Sidney, Ohio for quick overnight trips that were very interesting trips for me to go on! I have one more trip to Charlotte, NC next month and that should be it.

So that's my new job situation! In addition, my group moved into the brand new Cargill buildings last month. I'm bummed to not be in the same building as Michael since we always liked eating lunch together. But...I'm loving the brand new buildings and the fresh start with this group!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

congratulations! sounds exciting! hope it works out for you! :)

Stephanie said...

I went to Charlotte on my one-and-only business trip! Congrats on the job, Kyla!

Amber said...

Is it weird that I'm happy you're still with Cargill? I'm really happy, though, that you have a job you enjoy. Congratulations officially.