Sunday, September 18, 2011

5 Months

My dear sweet Joseph,
Friday you turned 5 months old! I can't believe it!

You are close to 17 lbs now and change so much each week. You are wearing mostly 6-9 month clothes now and size 3 diapers. You smile a lot and have really started responding to other people when they talk to you. I can definitely tell when you are in the mood to laugh because I will nibble on your belly and you will squeal away and look at me with hopes I'll do it again. You've also started to show some signs of frustration. If we have to take something away from you, sometimes you make a little frustrated noise. I think it's cute though to see your personality developing and seeing you express what you like and don't like.

Your biggest change over the past month is your rolling! Before now you had rolled from tummy to back and from your back to tummy. But now, you roll consecutively in one direction until you can't roll any further! You only roll to the left now, so when you get to where you can't roll any further, we just pick you up and turn you the other way so you can roll back the other way! Daddy and I are definitely keeping our eye on you!

You love your exercauser and your Bumbo seat. When Daddy and I wave a toy in front of you that you really want, you start shaking your hands in excitement and can't wait to grab it. You love grabbing your feet and just the other night before your bath, you realized your legs were long enough to where you could finally suck on your toes! :) Your signature pose these days is one hand grabbing your feet and the other hand in your mouth.

You are still working on getting your first tooth. The past 2 1/2 weeks have been VERY hard at night. It seems like it's actually harder than when you were a newborn. You wake up crying every hour to hour and a half when you had been sleeping around 7 hours your first stretch at night. I keep trying to tell myself that this is a phase and hopefully it will end soon! Mostly, I just feel bad for you being so uncomfortable and not getting very good sleep. There have been so many days lately where I just feel exhausted for not getting very many hours of consecutive sleep. But then I realize that this is the first of many sacrifices I will make for you throughout your life and I will do it in a heartbeat and without reservation because you are so worth it.


Having fun rolling around in his diaper after running errands in the Texas heat!


First time to suck on his toes!


Nothing sweeter than a fresh smelling baby right out of the bath!


Now that our little guy is getting more active, here are pictures from our 5 month photo session with Kermie:


"Hey, look at these long green legs on Kermie!"


"Say what?"


"Look at my neat trick Mommy!"


"Oh alright, I'll give you a good smile now!" :)

3 comments:

Heather said...

Love that smile! I can't wait to come visit. Miss y'all like crazy!

Katherine said...

What so smiley about? He is such a happy baby, loves that happy little face of his! And I love his latest trick of the feet in the mouth. Such a fun phase! He's getting so big--he'll be sitting up before you know it!

Ryan, Carrie, Brooke, and Heather said...

I love it when they start becoming more interactive! He is so cute! I love his sweet smile. It's neat to see their personalities develop! I hope he starts sleeping better soon! That's rough especially when he was sleeping so well.