Thursday, April 19, 2012

One Year Update

I still can't believe our little Joseph is now ONE year old!! I have to admit that it was a pretty emotional couple of days for me, as I'm sure any mom can relate to.

It definitely is a "bittersweet" feeling because I look back at pictures over the past year and I get sad that Joseph is no longer that tiny cuddly baby that he used to be. When he is asleep in my arms now, I look at how long he is and can't believe how much he has grown. And part of me feels like those first 4-6 weeks were such a blur that I wish I could remember every second and detail of those days. But then I look at how much fun Joseph is now at this age and it makes me so happy. It is so rewarding to see how much he learns and all the neat things he does now and my heart feels overcome with pride and love. It's also nice that life is a bit easier (in some ways) now that we can go out and about and do lots of things.

Joseph turning a year old always makes me look at my life a lot and reflect on how much it has changed over the past year. After working for almost 10 years in the workforce, I am no longer part of that world. I get asked a lot if I miss working and my answer is "not at all"! :) I feel like staying home with Joseph is exactly what God has prepared me to do and that I'm doing what I've always wanted to do. As fast as time goes by with children, I'm so thankful that I have the opportunity to stay at home with him and just enjoy every second with him.

Ok, and now on to the update! Joseph went to the doctor today for his 1 year check up. He weighs 21 lbs, 7oz (25%) and is 29 1/2 in long (25-50%). He has 3 teeth on the bottom and is getting all 4 top teeth in. However, one of his front teeth hasn't actually cut through but is close. I thought it was the front tooth but turns out it's the tooth next to it. The doctor said it is close so hopefully it will come in soon so he doesn't look too snaggle toothed with his top teeth. :) Joseph is pulling up and cruising along the furniture constantly. He got a couple of toys for his birthday that he can walk behind and he loves it! He also likes to walk while holding someone's hands. He can stand for a good amount of time by himself too! So I'm sure walking is just around the corner!

He is still quite the speedy little crawler. He loves to crawl between people's legs too - so if I am standing with just a tiny bit of space between my feet, he will come push his way through! He loves to play with socks and will go get Michael's socks out of his drawer or dirty clothes just so he can move them around on the floor. He also likes to unroll the toilet paper (eek). He still loves to eat and is a very good eater! In fact, tonight we gave him his first drink of whole milk and he loved it! He enjoys stacking things and opening and shutting doors. He also is a fan of light switches and pulling the cords on the blinds when I lift him up to the windows.

Joseph still takes 2 naps a day, one around 10:30am and one around 3/3:30. He is still a 30 minute napper, but lately he has been pulling a lot of 1 hr and 10 min naps, which is heavenly! Things he does NOT like is having his diaper changed and having his hands wiped down after he eats. Apparently the little guy just likes to be dirty! :)

Joseph is such a joy and blessing to us and we are so thankful that God gave him to us! The past year has been incredible and I know the coming years will be so wonderful too.

Here are some pictures looking back over the past year:


Meeting my sweet boy for the first time
I love this picture and how little he looks
And now, here is a progression of Kermie pics over every couple of months...
7 weeks
4 months
6 months
8 months
10 months
ONE YEAR OLD!!
And here are some pictures just over the past month of what Joseph has been up to...
The first day he discovered toliet paper!
He loves to play under the table
His first drink of whole milk - he did great!
He loves to play in the tupperware drawer - it's the perfect height, and nice and plastic!
Cruising along the couch
Standing by himself!
He loves riding and walking behind his new scooter
Getting a push from Daddy
More Kermie outtakes...
Showing off his birthday shirt one last time
It was raining on his birthday, so the next day I took him to swing in our neighborhood park!
He looks so big now!!
Having fun!
Walking with his activity walker that Gma and Gpa Eckel gave him!

4 comments:

Amber said...

Happy birthday to Joseph! It's been so fun seeing him grow and change over the past year. He is just so sweet!

Katherine said...

Aww girl! Sniff, sniff! :)

What a sweet tribute to your sweet boy! I always think it's fun to take a stroll down memory lane and look at pictures along the way. Oh he was so tiny!

It's been so fun watching you and Michael blossom into parents overnight. Seeing the joy and happiness he brings both of you is so evident in your words and actions. I LOVE sharing motherhood with you and love our talks, comparing notes on Sarah and Joseph.

So glad you have so many fond memories from your first year with your sweet boy! Love you girl!

Heather said...

Love the photos and update. I'm so happy God has blessed you and Michael with Joseph!
It's crazy when I read your blog, because a majority of the time when you describe Joseph it's like you're talking about James. Man those J & J are 2 peas in a pod!
Can't wait to see you this summer. Love & miss you,
Heather :)

Ryan, Carrie, Brooke, and Heather said...

I love all the pictures! He is such a cutie! I also love reading about his updates! He is doing so many things and before you know it he will be running in circles! :) Happy 1st Birthday Joseph!