Thursday, February 7, 2013

21 Months

I'm a couple of weeks late with Joseph's 21 month update, but you know how that goes.  I wanted to be sure to get it done before baby boy gets here next week though!

As always, it's hard to believe that our Joseph is 21 months now and quickly approaching his big 2 year birthday.  It is such a joy to watch him grow and his little personality develop.  I really feel like his personality has started to shine over the past few months.  He has developed a very silly side which I just love!   He knows when he is doing something funny and will even say "Mama!" to make sure I see what he's doing.  Another funny thing is that after his bath when he's on the changing table, he always gives Michael a goodnight kiss first and then me.  Well over the past few weeks, he has started a new tradition that after he kisses Michael, when he goes to kiss me, he opens his mouth wide and blows on my cheek to make a vibration noise.  We all 3 just laugh everytime.  I have no idea what made him start doing that but now it is his little routine.

He is still very much in an "uh-oh" phase where he says "uh-oh!!!" about any little thing that happens.  Over the past couple of weeks, I feel like he has been trying to repeat more words.  He has a lot of things he says, but it's more words that I know what he is saying because I know his little language but a stranger wouldn't have a clue.   When we walk through Target or in other areas, he has started pointing at items and saying his little word for those objects.  He definitely tries to repeat the same amount of syllables of what we are saying in a word, so while his language isn't clear yet, I feel like he is starting to put things together.

As long as he isn't teething, he sleeps really good at night. He goes down at 8pm and sleeps until around 7 or 7:15.   He is cutting his 4th canine tooth and after this he should just have his 2 year molars to go!   His naps are typically between 1 hr and 1hr 15 min.  Not as long as I would hope, but still long enough for him and he goes down great around 1:15pm. 

Joseph's eating habits have changed quite a bit.  He has gotten a lot more particular and his taste buds have changed.  Some of his old favorites like sweet potato and avocado, he really isn't a fan of anymore.  He eats hot dogs now and loves those.  He also has raisins as a snack and always gets so excited.  He's cut back on the amount of cheese he eats too, so I've been offering him a small yogurt drink at lunch time or snack and it just makes his day.

He still loves to help me with any and every little thing I do.  This morning while he was eating breakfast, I took a ceral box out to the recycling bin and he burst into tears that I didn't let him do it.  So I saved the next box for him to do and he was then a happy camper.  His favorite thing to play now is either sitting in his chair in his room to look through his books, play "mail" in his doorframe toy, or sit on the couch in the playroom and bring all his toys to the couch where we sit.  He still LOVES being outside.   Joseph also has really become so aware of his little friends - Alexandra, Joseph and Annabelle.  They play so well together (aside from a few toy sharing issues) and love to play chase and copy each other being silly.

We recently started implementing a short timeout for when Joseph deliberately doesn't mind or goes overboard with throwing a fit when he is frustrated.  We are still figuring it out, but so far he seems to respond well to just being removed from the situation.  It basically helps reset him and then he goes and finds a brand new activity to do.

I took Joseph to the doctor a couple of weeks ago when he sprained his ankle on the playground, and he weighed around 31 lbs!  He is in 24 month shirts but getting close to 2T.  In shorts he is still in 18 month shorts.  ;)

As I think about these next few months before Joseph turns 2, I obviously realize how much change our little guy has in store for him.  Without a doubt though, I know he is going to be an incredible big brother to baby Andrew.  Joseph has such a big heart and sweet personality and I know he will just love his little brother.  He responds really well to babies he is around, so I feel so excited to see him do the same to Andrew.  I know he will have some adjustments to sharing me, but I feel confident he will do just fine!  

I'm so proud of Joseph and the precious 21 month old boy he is!

His first time to have raisins - so excited!

He loves to play cars and balls in the long entryway

He got some new bathtub toys which he loves

Silly boy trying on Michael's boots

Playing blocks

He also likes to get our throw blankets out of the chest and we throw them over his head

Reading books in his chair in his room

My best pic I could get with Kermie.  I was going to keep trying on different days but was afraid I would never get this post done!

When he eats raspberries or macaroni shells, he has to put them on top of his finger and eat them off that way - so silly!

Being tickled by Daddy one night after dinner

1 comment:

Jenn Burt said...

Kyla, I love this post! He's getting so big! Can't wait to see pictures of Joseph and Andrew! My favorite is the raspberry on his finger! So cute!