I felt very emotional about this transition for many reasons. One, Joseph and I are never really away from each other and never have been. Since we don't have family in town to babysit and we don't really use a babysitter just yet, we've just been together the past 3 years which is how I preferred it! Another reason is just the realization that Joseph is getting bigger and that starting preschool kind of starts a new milestone in my mommyhood. From this point forward, I will always have a kid in school! And once they start preschool they are in school from now until college. That's huge! So basically it was a turning point in that my time being at home with Joseph full time is over. Now granted his school this year is only Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:15-2:15, so we still have 5 days of the week together. But still...
I knew though that it was time and that Joseph was ready for some additional challenges and activities that school would offer him. Plus, I think the huge benefit of just being around other kids his age more regularly will be great for him!
We had meet the teacher on Tuesday, September 2 and met his teachers Mrs. Jackie and her helper Mrs. Stephanie. He is in the "young 3's" class which is "The Owls"! The teachers were both so sweet! Joseph and Andrew had fun playing with all the new toys in the room while I visited with Mrs. Jackie. I had been trying to talk to Joseph for quite some time about school and get him mentally prepared. We had fun picking out his firetruck backpack and lunchbox together too!
So then the big day was here....Joseph had his first day of preschool on Thursday, September 4! And much to my delight the first day (and after today the 2nd day as well!) have been very successful. I got Joseph all signed in and helped him find his little cubby to put his backpack and lunchbox. I gave him a hug and explained again that Mommy and Andrew had to go bye-bye and he asked why. So I just said that only kids that were 3 got to stay and play! And he was good with that and off he went. I went out in the hall with Andrew and then went back to try to catch one more glimpse of him doing good. Then at that point, I ran into my college roommate Nicole and her husband who go to the same church and I got all teary. I felt silly but it was an emotional and big day for us! And the important thing is Joseph didn't cry and I didn't let him see me get teary.
Andrew and I went to the grocery store after for a good distraction and then came home and had some nice time just the two of us playing. It was hard to not stare at the clock and wonder constantly what Joseph was doing at school. And come afternoon, I was SO anxious to go and pick him up! He smiled when he saw me but then seemed more excited about drinking out of the water fountain in the hallway. haha Over the course of several days, I slowly was able to drag out more details about his school day. It sounds like he had a great time! The first thing he told me was that the water fountain on the playground was broken because it had dirt in it. And then later he told Michael he played with digger trucks on the playground. He also told me he didn't nap (he rarely does anymore) and that he was loud. (The teacher told me he was a bit talkative during rest time) ;)
So I think we are off to a great start! I'm sure there will be some rough days to come when some of the newness wears off, but hopefully not too bad. And today after I dropped him off for day two of school, I left so much happier and with a feeling of peace that I could just enjoy this special time of it being me and Andrew which we have never had before! And I know that Joseph is having fun, learning lots, and is well taken care of!
| He found his name in the owl class on the hallway wall |
| Playing with the wooden blocks in his new classroom during meet the teacher |
| Joseph and his new teacher - Mrs. Jackie! |
| First day of preschool!! September 2014, 3 yrs old 5 months |
| Love this little smile |
| Thumbs up when I picked him up that afternoon! |

1 comment:
No wonder Joseph likes pre-school. His teacher looks really sweet! Grandma Z
Post a Comment