Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Time to Carve

The boys and I had a fun afternoon carving one of our two big pumpkins.  I cut the top off and let the boys take out the seeds/pulp stuff.  Ewww. I have to say that part is so gross to me!  Joseph did pretty good with it but definitely preferred to use the little shovel to remove the stuff.  I tried to let Andrew have a turn but both times I turned the pumpkin to him to let him stick his hand in, he burst into tears in a "Get that thing away from me!" kind of expression!

I bought a pumpkin carving kit from HEB that included the little knives as well as a small book of different designs to choose from for your pumpkin.  Being the nice mom that I am, I let Joseph help choose the design.  I discouraged him from choosing some of the real scary ones and then he narrowed it down to the final 2 and I thought he made great choices...what was I thinking?!

After about an hour, I finally got the thing done!  I'm pretty sure I broke into sweat a couple of times trying to cut such an intricate little design into a big ol' pumpkin.  And of course one of the little knives broke half way through which almost sent Joseph into a panic attack but I reassured him I would be able to complete the task with the leftover larger knife.  Finally I got it done and Joseph was SOOO excited!   Andrew was still a little unsure about it.  Joseph loves to light the pumpkin when we eat dinner at night and it's so cute to see his excitement!



All set at the table and ready to begin!

Taking a peek inside

Joseph working hard to remove the seeds, a couple at a time ;) (with Andrew watching closely)

Still going

Andrew's turn - not a fan ;)


The final product - a friendly little ghost coming out of a little pumpkin

No comments: